Once you've found the perfect programme to study, you need to find a place to live. There are a number of student housing options — we recommend you start looking early!

University Housing

Situated in a dynamic and inclusive living environment with furnished dormitory rooms, our university housing is a perfect place to get to know new people.  Every month our team of Resident Assistants arrange different activities for the tenants; everything from game nights, Zumba and pizza bake-offs to excursions in Skåne.

Students who pay tuition fees or are on exchange studies are prioritized – but all students are welcome to apply!

Apply to University Housing

The application for Spring 2021 is now open.

Apply to University Housing here

Celsiusgården, Rönnbladsgatan 2A

Celsiusgården is a 4-story building that comprise of 40 student rooms. Each floor consists of 10 fully furnished student rooms with an en suite bathroom, a shared kitchen and lounge area. The room sizes varies between 13 - 17 square metres.

Please note that you have to bring your own bedding and towels. You will be provided with pillow and duvet on the day you move in, and the cost is included in the first payment.


Common areas

Each floor has a shared dining room, a fully equipped kitchen and a lounge area. The laundry and a storage rooms for bicycles are located in the basement.


The rent at Celsiusgården is SEK 4071 per month all inclusive of water, electricity, heating, internet and cost for furniture.

The rent is paid 10 month out of 12, with June 15 – August 14 as a rent free period



Rönnen International, Rönnblomsgatan 6A

The building has nine floors but only the top five are available for students. Every floor has 27-29 large, fully furnished rooms with en suite bathrooms. There are nine double rooms.

  • Size of single rooms: 17 square metres to 25 square metres. 
  • Size of double rooms: 29 square metres to 36 square metres.

Quiet floor

The ninth floor is considered a quiet floor and therefore all parties and alcohol consumption are forbidden in the common areas. We expect that tenants should observe and respect the 22:00 no noise rule in the evening.Please be mindful of these restrictions when applying.


Common area

Each floor has a large, fully equipped kitchen, laundry room and a large balcony. The fifth and sixth floors have a separate lounge area.


Floors 5, 6: 4546 - 4690 SEK/month
Floors 7, 8 and 9: 4644 - 5136 SEK/month
Double rooms: 3024 - 3246 SEK/month

Water, electricity, heating, internet and cost for furniture is included in the rent. Please note that there is no Wi-Fi in the building, tenants are recommended to bring a network cable.

The rent is paid 10 month out of 12, with June 15 – August 14 as a rent free period




Student housing in Malmö

In Malmö you can find student apartments in all parts of the city. The buildings are run by housing agencies and mostly advertised through Boplats Syd.

Rental apartments — Boplats Syd

The majority of available apartments, both student apartment and regular apartments, are advertised through the housing agency Boplats Syd. Please note that almost all student housing is unfurnished and that if you cannot provide a guarantor with a Swedish bank account, most often you need to pay three months’ rent in deposit (plus one month’s rent in advance) to sign the contract. 

• How quickly you will receive an apartment offer is based on how long you have been on the waiting list, which is why it is wise to register as early as possible. 

• Use the Google Translate function on the website so you can read the content in English.

• If you do not have a Swedish personal identification number, tick 'no' under the statement 'I have a Swedish personal'.

Fill in this form to sign up to Boplats Syd

Temporary housing

It might take a while to find student housing, for example in connection to the start of the semester. If you are in urgent need of housing, you can find a list of hostels here. 

Hostels in Malmö

To help students and alleviate the housing shortage, the Student Union Malmö organises the Sofa Project at the beginning of the autumn semester. 

Go to the Sofa Project

Good to know when looking for student housing

Sharing student housing with a non-student

Provided that the property owner is okay with two tenants sharing an apartment, it might be possible to share student housing, as long as the person signing the contract is a student. Please note that this is not always the case in the smaller student apartments, as sometimes the landlord only accepts one tenant.

Student housing for families

There are a few student apartments suitable for students with families; however, these are all two-bedroom apartments. If you haven’t gotten an offer of a two-bedroom student apartment, or you need a larger apartment than that, you primarily have two options; either find a regular apartment or try to find something suitable through subletting.

Rent-free months

For the majority of student housing, rent is paid ten out of twelve months of the year (two months during the summer are rent-free).

Paying a deposit

If you do not have a Swedish bank account, you must have a guarantor with a Swedish bank account, or you might have to pay three months’ rent in deposit (plus one month’s rent in advance) in order to sign a rental agreement. This is regardless of whether you are looking for housing via Boplats Syd or through a private landlord.

If you rent a room in a private residence or sublet somebody else’s apartment, you usually also have to pay a deposit. The rent varies, ranging from 1000 SEK to 10,000 SEK. If your landlord requires a deposit, it is important, for both parties, that the contract clearly states the conditions for refund of the deposit. Always keep all rent receipts and payment details of the deposit, such as a bank statement. 

Accessible housing for students with disabilities

There are a few student apartments in Malmö that are suitable for students with disabilities. There are, for example, two student housing units at Malmö Studentshus which are fully adapted with kitchen appliances with adjustable heights. 

Boplats Syd lists the homes that are fully or partly accessible. Boplats Syd's policy stipulates that people in need of accessible housing are not given priority.

Home insurance

If you live in a student apartment or in a rental apartment, you must have home insurance. Many insurance companies currently offer special insurance deals for students; the conditions of these can vary between companies. We recommend that you contact different insurance companies to find the best offer.

If you sublet somebody's apartment or are a lodger, the original tenant's insurance does not usually cover damage that you cause. To avoid unnecessary costs, check with an insurance company to clarify coverage, or get insurance of your own.

University Housing for students paying tuition fees and exchange students

International students paying tuition fees during their studies are guaranteed housing from Malmö University. Exchange students will be offered housing according to availability. Eligible students will receive an email with information regarding housing options, application deadlines and payment instructions before each application period begins.

More information about University Housing for fee-paying students and exchange students

For general questions regarding housing, please contact:

email icon housing@mau.se