Capturing the impacts of changes in public transport accessibility: A mixed methods approach
- Contact person:
- Helena Bohman
- K2 –The Swedish Knowledge Centre for Public Transport
- Responsible at MaU:
- Helena Bohman
- Project members:
- Collaborators and other project members:
- Jean Ryan - Lund University
- Vanessa Stjernborg - Lund University
- Time frame:
- 01 January 2020 - 31 December 2022
- Research subject:
About the project
Recently, public transport accessibility has been discussed from a sustainability perspective, not least the perspective of social sustainability. There is a lack of post studies to follow up on the effects of investments and divestments in public transport.
The aim of this project is to expand on knowledge of the effects of investments as well as divestments in public transport. This will be carried out through a combination of quantitative and qualitative methods. Particular emphasis will be placed on the use of participatory GIS, a method for collecting and analysing qualitative and quantitative spatial data which has been used to a very limited extent in transportation research. The method will be used to capture experiences of accessibility in areas that are exposed to both socio-economic and geographical challenges.
The results are expected to:
- increase the knowledge of the implications of investments as well as divestments in public transport,
- be used as an input in future decision-making, and
- contribute to an improved understanding of an inclusive transport planning process.