- Contact person:
- Erica Righard
- Responsible at Malmö University:
- Erica Righard
- Project members:
- Italy; GGMBH
- Germany; Uniwersytet Jagiellonski
- Poland; ULIEGE
- Belgium; The university of Northampton higher education corporation
- United Kingdom; SeAMK
- Finland; IIHL
- Italy; ESHA
- Netherlands; FREREF
- Time frame:
- 01 January 2019 - 31 December 2021
- Research environment :
CHILD-UP researches the social conditions of migrant children’s integration through social participation, taking in primary account gender differences, legal status and age groups, with the final aim to propose an innovative approach to understand and transform their social condition.
The first specific objective of the project is to provide an European overview, collection of data and evaluation concerning children’s conditions of living, protection and education.
In selected contexts in seven countries, the research focuses on:
(1) policies and practices of integration in schools, reception centres, social services and communities; (2) children’s and parents’ experiences, perceptions and expectations of integration;
(3) specific practices of language teaching, facilitation of dialogue, intercultural education and mediation.
The second objective of the project is to provide support for migrant children’s exercise of agency in changing their own conditions of integration and constructing hybrid identities. This objective can be achieved through the promotion of a dialogic system of practices, in schools and in their relations with partners (social services, reception centres, education and mediation agencies) and families.
The project provides:
(1) guidelines for dialogic activities in schools;
(2) written and online training packages for teachers and other professionals;
(3) a package for self-evaluation of activities.
These tools will support co-action of teachers and other professionals, and coordinated planning between schools and their partners.
The project’s third objective is to inform policies at the local, national and European level through dissemination and exploitation of research outcomes and tools. This objective can be achieved through the collaboration of three consortium partners, international and local stakeholder committees, and the implementation of an online portal containing a web platform conceived as a moderated wiki space and a digital archive hosting research materials and tools.