- About us
- Job opportunities
- News and press
Vision, objectives and strategy
- Faculties and departments
Management and decision-making
- Quality work at the University
- Global engagement
Widening participation and gender
Malmö Academic Choir and Orchestra
- Alumni & Friends
- Annual Academic Celebration
The Internet of Things (IoT) aims to improve several aspects of society through data collection, connectivity, data analysis and modelling and leveraging the advanced technologies, which change the way we live and work.
According to Cisco, the number of connected devices is expected to be around 500 billion by 2025. These IoT-connected devices can interact with people and the environment for innovative services, ranging from autonomous transportation to smart campuses.
A smart campus links connected devices, infrastructure, applications and people to make a university campus a platform for innovation with opportunities for enabling new experiences, and services and improving operational efficiency. This interaction will make a university campus smarter when IoT and artificial intelligence (AI) come together for deriving knowledge from IoT data. This result is elevating user experiences to an unprecedented new level. For example, the students, researchers, staff and visitors can benefit from location-aware and context-aware services for using campus equipment and collaboration services.
Smart campus modelling, design, implementation and testing can improve three important aspects of campus life i.e., experience, efficiency, and education. The project is divided into the following solutions for improving socioecological aspects of surrounding communities: building management systems e.g. the indoor climate, lighting and greenhouse monitoring system, energy management system and sustainability, automation and awareness e.g. facilities automation, occupancy analytics, emergency evacuation and notifications, mobility and smart parking, enhanced learning experience e.g. IoT flipped classroom, and security research and development.
The objectives of this project are the following:
- to integrate enhanced research and education activities within smart campuses e.g. IoT, data science, sensors and wireless sensor networks, connectivity, etc.
- to improve the student experience and researcher outcomes by participating in various projects within the smart campus and testing different services and experiments.
- to develop collaboration with industries for internship, training, exchange of knowledge and co-creation of projects.
- to develop collaboration with public sectors for best practices and recommendations to deploy smart campus capabilities.
- to develop collaboration with other universities for cross-regional research partnerships.
- to make data or metadata collected in various projects publicly available for open collaborative innovation.