- Booth, Wayne, Gregory Colomb and Joseph Williams, Joseph Bizup and William T. FitzGerald, The Craft of Research, Chicago, 2016, 4th edition (core book for writing processes in the whole program)
- Caine, Barbara and Glenda Sluga, Gendering European History 1780-1920, Sidney (2004), selected chapters
- Lindström, Fredrik, European Studies as a field of knowledge, Malmö University Press 2002 (https://www.mah.se/upload/FAKULTETER/KS/IMER/IMER_mapp1/Program/IPES/04.pdf).
- May, Tim, Social Research – Issues, methods and process, Open University Press: Buckingham, 2011, 4th edition (also used in the second semester). (Available as e-book)
- Morrow, John, History of Western Political Thought - a thematic introduction, Palgrave, 2nd edition 2005.
- Tosh, John, The pursuit of History, latest edition, Longman, (also available as e-book), selected chapters but also used later in the program
- Tägil, Sven (ed.) Europe – The return of History, Lund, 2001. Selected chapters
- Additional articles, chapters, videos and other learning material
Please note additional online resources may supplement/complement the core textbooks.