The following texts are the primary literature of the course and will be made available to students.
- Blomberg, Jeanette, Mark Burrell, and Greg Guest. “An Ethnographic Approach to Design.” In The Human-Computer Interaction Handbook, edited by Julie A. Jacko and Andrew Sears, 964–986. Hillsdale, NJ, USA: L. Erlbaum Associates Inc., 2003.
- Gaver, Bill, Tony Dunne, and Elena Pacenti. “Design: cultural probes.” interactions 6, no. 1 (1999): 21-29.
- Randall, David, Richard Harper, and Mark Rouncefield. Fieldwork for Design. 1st ed. Springer London, 2007. Selected chapters will be provided.
- Rittel, Horst WJ, and Melvin M. Webber. “Dilemmas in a general theory of planning.” Policy sciences 4, no. 2 (1973): 155-169.
- Schön, Donald A. “Generative Metaphor - a Perspective on Problem-Setting in Social Policy.” In Metaphor and Thought, edited by Andrew Ortony, 2nd ed., 137–63. Cambridge University Press, 1993.