Joint reading module 1 - Communication and Development Cooperation
- Enghel, Florencia & Noske-Turner, Jessica (Eds) (2018) Communication in International Development: Doing Good or Looking Good? Oxon: Routledge.
- Eyben, Rosalind (2014) International Aid and the Making of a Better World: Reflexive Practice. Oxon: Routledge.
- Hobbis, Geoffrey (2020) Digitizing the Family: An Ethnography of Melanesian Smartphones. London: Palgrave.
- McAnany, Emile G. (2012) Saving the World: A Brief History of Communication for Development and Social Change. Champaign, IL: University of Illinois Press.
- McGee, Rosemary & Pettit, Jethro (Eds) (2019) Power, Empowerment & Social Change. Oxon: Routledge.
- Quarry, Wendy & Ramírez, Ricardo (2009) Communication for Another Development: Listening Before Telling. London: Zed Books.?
- Sabaratnam, Meera (2019) Decolonising Intervention: International Statebuilding in Mozambique. London/New York: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Scott, Martin (2014) Media and Development. London: Zed?Books.
Joint reading module 2 - Culture and Media Analysis
- Barthes, Roland (1957)?Mythologies.?London: Penguin.
- Hall, Stuart, Evans, Jessica and Nixon, Sean (ed.) (2013) Representations. Cultural Representations and Signifying Practices, Second Edition. London: Sage.
- Jackson, Michael (2013) The Politics of Storytelling. Variations on a Theme by Hannah Arendt 2nd ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Rose, Gillian (2016) Visual Methodologies, 5th edition. London: Sage
- Vokes, Richard (2018)?Media and Development. Oxon: Routledge.
Lists of further recommended and additional readings?for?both?modules?are listed on the course site.