Joint reading module 1 - Communication and Development Cooperation
- Battersby, Paul & Roy, Ravi (2017) International Development: A Global Perspective on Theory and Practice. London: SAGE.
- Enghel, Florencia & Noske-Turner, Jessica (Eds) (2018) Communication in International Development: Doing Good or Looking Good? Oxon: Routledge.
- Hossain, Naomi (2017) The Aid Lab: Understanding Bangladesh’s Unexpected Success. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- McGee, Rosemary & Pettit, Jethro (Eds) (2019) Power, Empowerment & Social Change. Oxon: Routledge.
- Olivié, Iliana & Pérez, Aitor (2019) Aid Power & Politics. Oxon: Routledge.
- Manyozo, Linje (2017) Communicating Development with Communities. Oxon: Routledge.
- Wilkins, Karin, Tufte, Thomas & Rafael Obregon (2014) The Handbook of Development Communication and Social Change. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
Joint reading module 2 – Culture and Media Analysis
- Barthes, Roland (1957) Mythologies London: Penguin
- Bunce, Mel. Franks, Suzanne and Paterson, Chris (Eds) (2017) Africa's Media Image in the 21st Century: From the "Heart of Darkness" to "Africa Rising" London: Routledge
- Chouliraki, Lilie (2011) ‘Improper distance’: Towards a critical account of solidarity as irony’, International Journal of Cultural Studies 14(4)
- Dogra, Nandita (2011) ‘The Mixed Metaphor of Third World Woman: gendered representations by international development NGOs’, Third World Quarterly, 32/2)
- Hall, Stuart, Evans, Jessica and Nixon, Sean (ed.) (2013) Representations. Cultural Representations and Signifying Practices, Second Edition. London: Sage.
- Jackson, Michael (2013 The Politics of Storytelling. Variations on a Theme by Hannah Arendt 2nd ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press
- Rose, Gillian (2016) Visual Methodologies, 5th edition. London: Sage
- Vokes, Richard (2018) Media and Development. London: Routledge