- Becker, Howard S. (1998). Tricks of the trade: How to think about your research while you’re doing it. Chicago: Chicago University Press.
- Fuchs, Christian (2014). Social media: a critical introduction. London: SAGE Publications.
- Gillespie, Tarlton, Boczkowski, Pablo J., & Foot, Kirsten A. (2014). Media Technologies: Essays on communication, materiality, and society. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.
- Interaction Design Foundation (2020). The Encyclopedia of Human-Computer Interaction, 2nd Ed. (Available as open access: https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/book/the-encyclopedia-of-human-computer-interaction-2nd-ed)
- Karlsson, Jan CH & Bergman, Ann (2017). Methods for Social Theory. Analytical Tools for Theorizing and Writing. London & New York: Routledge.
- Schäfer, Mirko Tobias & Van Es, Karin (ed.) (2017). The datafied society: Studying culture through data. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press (Available as open access: http://oapen.org/search?identifier=624771)
- van Dijck, José (2013). The culture of connectivity: a critical history of social media. New York: Oxford University Press.
- van Dijck, José, Poell, Thomas, & de Waal, Martijn (2018). The platform society: Public values in a connected world. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Additional literature is decided in consultation with the instructor.