- Coles, Nicholas and Paul Lauter. 2017. A History of American Working-Class Literature. Cambridge UP. 1–7, 232–263 and 376–405.
- Clark, Ben and Nick Hubble. Introduction. In Working-Class Writing: Theory and Practice. Palgrave McMillan. 1–6. [copies will be provided]
- Karlsson, Mats. 2016. The Proletarian Literature Movement: Experiment and Experience. In Routledge Handbook of Modern Japanese Literature. Routledge. 111–124. [copies will be provided]
- Mkhize, Jabulani. 2010. Shades of Working-Class Writing: Realism and the
- Intertextual in La Guma's ‘In the Fog of the Seasons' End. Shades of Working-Class Writing: Realism and the Intertextual in La Guma's ‘In the Fog of the Seasons' End. 36.4 [available through the University Library’s webpage]
- Lennon, John and Magnus Nilsson (eds.). 2017 Working-Class Literature(s): Historical and International Perspectives. Stockholm UP. https://doi.org/10.16993/bam [can be downloaded for free]
- Nilsson. Magnus. 2019. ”Working-class comics? Proletarian self-reflexiveness in Mats Källblad’s graphic novel Hundra år i samma klass.” Journal of Graphic Novels and Comics 10.3 https://doi.org/10.1080/21504857.2018.1500383
- Nilsson, Magnus. 2014. Literature and Class: Aesthetical-Political Strategies in Modern Swedish Working-Class Literature. Humboldt-Universität. 18–26 and 115–158. [copies will be provided]
- Nilsson, Magnus and John Lennon. 2016. “Defining Working-Class Literature(s): A Comparative Approach Between U.S. Working-Class Studies and Swedish Literary History.” New Proposals 8.2, pp 39–61.
- Perera, Sonali. 2014. No Country: Working-Class Writing in the Age of Globalization. Columbia UP. Pp. 1–19.
- Pierse, Michael (ed.) 2017. A History of Irish Working-Class Writing. Cambridge UP. Pp. 1–36.
- Tenngart, paul. 2019. “The Dislocated Vernacular in Translated Swedish Working-Class Fiction.” https://doi.org/10.1080/1369801X.2019.1659171
- Tenngart, Paul. 2016. “Local Labour, Cosmopolitan Toil: Geo-Cultural Dynamics in Swedish Working-Class Fiction.” Journal of World Literature 1.4, pp. 484–502. https://doi.org/10.1163/24056480-00104001
- Tokarczyk, Michell M. (ed.) 2011. Critical Approaches to American Working-Class Literature. Routledge. Pp. 1–13
- Wright, Rochelle. 1996. “Literature Democratized: Working-Class Writers of the 1930s”. In Lars G. Warme (ed.), A History of Swedish Literature. U of Nebraska P. Pp. 333–346.
Additional literature encompassing 200 pages may be added.
Fictional works will be chosen by the students.