This page contains information relevant to those who live in University Housing at Celsiusgården and Rönngården.

Moving in

1. Complete the online inventory report

Inspect your room, check that all items on your inventory list can be located and put your findings in the inventory report.

Please note that University Housing tenants must fill in the report within the first week after moving in. If you fail to submit this form the room will be logged as being in good condition with all inventories present. The report will be used when assessing the result of your room inspection upon moving out.

Bedside table
Desk chair
Desk lamp
Floor lamp
Tash can
Window blind
Shower curtain
Hangers (minimum 5)
Fire alarm
If you have declare any damages or missing items above, do you give permission for the janitor/caretaker to access your room with the master key if you're not there?

Malmö University is responsible for the personal data processed within the University's operations, and complies with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). For more information on how your personal data is processed, visit

Bedside table
Storage box
Desk chair
Drawer unit
Table lamp (2)
Floor lamp
Trash can (2)
Hangers (minimum 5)
Shower curtain
Fire alarm
If you have declare any damages or missing items above, do you give permission for the janitor/caretaker to access your room with the master key if you're not there?

Malmö University is responsible for the personal data processed within the University's operations, and complies with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). For more information on how your personal data is processed, visit

2. Making a fault report

If you find that something is broken or missing in your room, please make a fault report.

3. Put your name on your post box

You should find a name tag in the folder for your rental agreement. Please locate your letterbox and place your name tag on it. Please note that if your letterbox is unnamed, you might experience difficulties in receiving post, even if the address is correct.

4. Check in with your Resident Assistant

A week or two after moving in, one of your Residence Assistant will contact you. Please take this opportunity to make enquiries regarding any practical matters connected to living within University Housing, which you might need help with.

Resident Assistants

A Resident Assistant (RA) is a full-time student whose job is to act as a resource for the students who reside in the building.

The RAs are hired on the basis of character, leadership, and their ability to interact with their fellow students. Their main function is to build a community, which is crucial to a successful residence living experience. The RAs are entrusted in engaging in the resident living conditions and have a duty of confidentiality.

Social activities during your stay

Throughout the year, the Housing Office and the RAs will arrange various social and educational activities. Examples of previous events are guided tours, study and career advice sessions, cultural events and theme parties. These activities are a great way to get involved with fellow residents and learn something new in the process. More detailed information will be posted in the residence halls and emailed to all tenants throughout the semester.

Fault report

Is your window stuck, is your fire alarm not working, or are you having problems with the blinds in your room? Please submit a fault report.

Do you give permission for the janitor/caretaker to access your room with the master key if you're not there?

Malmö University is responsible for the personal data processed within the University's operations, and complies with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). For more information on how your personal data is processed, visit

Please note that some maintenance should be carried out by the tenants, this includes:

  • changing light bulbs in desk or floor lamps
  • changing batteries in the fire detectors
  • unclogging the sink or shower drain

Maintenance service during office hours

Housing proprietors have an obligation to handle faults within reasonable time according to Swedish tenancy law. Once you have submitted a fault report, you will receive a written confirmation. If possible, you will receive a notification regarding when the maintenance staff will handle the fault.

Please note that it normally takes 2-3 days before the maintenance staff can visit your room in order to assess or fix the fault. Urgent faults, such as a water leak or something else that will damage the property, are excluded and will be dealt with as soon as possible.

If the fault requires a part that the maintenance staff do not have in stock, it can take a couple of weeks before the fault is handled. If this is the case, the tenant who submitted the fault report will be contacted.

Maintenance service after office hours/during public holidays

The maintenance staff do not work outside office hours, therefore any fault reports submitted during weekends and bank holidays will not be addressed until the following weekday.

If an emergency fault occurs outside office hours, please follow the instructions below:

Celsiusgården, please call Security Assistance on +4640-689 24 80

Rönngården, please call Security Assistance on +4640-34 70 00

Emergency fault are those which risk damaging the property or injuring the tenants, such as a water leak or a blocked toilet. Emergency faults will be handled as soon as possible.


The indoor temperature should be between 19-22 degrees Celsius. This is the Swedish standard according to the Public Health Agency of Sweden.

The heating is controlled by the outside temperature. Therefore it might takes a few days for the heating to adjust at the beginning of autumn due to sudden temperature changes. We ask kindly for you to show patience if and when this occurs.

If you believe it is colder than 19 degrees in your room:

  • check that the thermostat is turned to max and that nothing is covering the thermostat
  • measure the temperature by placing a thermometer at mid-height in the centre of the room

If the temperature is below 19 degrees Celsius, please make a fault report.

Cleaning schedule and cleaning supplies

As a University Housing tenant, you are expected to keep your room clean and tidy. The primary responsibility for keeping the communal kitchen and other areas clean on a day-to-day basis falls on the residents.

Housekeeping service

The housekeepers are only responsible for routine cleaning of public areas, such as stairwells, entrances and the hallways in the basement. At Rönngården, the housekeepers also clean the floors in the common areas twice a week.

Twice a year, at the beginning of each academic semester, the housekeepers thoroughly cleans the common areas at Celsiusgården and Rönngården. The rest of the year, the tenants are responsible for maintaining a clean and healthy environment in individual rooms as well as in the common areas.

Cleaning schedule

Inspections will be carried out on a regular basis, to ensure that the common areas are kept clean. If a floor is repeatedly failing the inspections, or if standards of day-to-day cleanliness are below a reasonably acceptable level, the Housing Office may serve notice on the residents, requiring improvement by a specified date. If the required standard has not been met by the time of the follow-up inspection, the Housing Office may order a professional cleaning. The cost of such cleaning will be divided among the residents on the floor as an additional charge.

The Housing Office strongly recommend tenants to create a weekly cleaning schedule to split up the cleaning responsibility on each floor.

Cleaning supplies

The Housing Office provides a limited amount of cleaning supplies, for example a vacuum cleaner, a mop and cleaning liquids. These supplies are stored in the cleaning cupboard on each floor. It is the tenants’ responsibility to keep the cleaning cupboard in order. Please notify you RA when it’s time to replenish the cleaning supplies.

Recycle - Make a difference

Every decision and choice you make creates an impact, and together we can make a positive difference! By sorting correctly, the waste can be recycled and become a useful resource again.

Food waste

Food bins are provided in the common kitchens. Please use the brown paper bags, which can be collected from the environment building outside your residence. For example: banana skins, eggshells, seafood leftovers, coffee, tea bags, and kitchen paper.


All smaller cardboard packaging, both hard and soft: please remember to flatten. For example: milk packaging, egg cartons, corrugated cardboard, and wrapping paper.


All smaller plastic packaging, both in hard and soft plastic: please ensure you rinse all plastic before it is recycled. For example: plastic bags, plastic bottles without a refund, bag-in-box bags, chip bags, styrofoam and medicine cards.


Glass bottles and jars are sorted as either clear or coloured glass. Please drain all liquids, remove lids and rinse first before recycling. For example: wine bottles, spice, and jam jars.


All metal packaging, both hard and soft: please rinse all cans before recycling. For example: cans, tubes, caps, aluminium foil and cans.

Paper and magazines

For example: newspapers, catalogues, paperbacks, flyers, office paper, and notepads.

Residual waste

Unfortunately, all waste can’t be sorted. For example: chewing gum, envelopes, post-it notes, broken drinking glasses/ceramics, condoms and sanitary towels. Waste, such as small electric devices, light bulbs and batteries should be disposed of at your local “Samlaren” station. The same applies for textiles.

Please remember not to put plastic bags into any of the recycling containers as this contaminates the bin, and the contents will then be sent to landfill.


Rent is always paid in advance. For example, the September rent must be paid by before the last day of August. And you pay for a full calendar month, that is from the first day to the last day of the month. You will receive your rent slips via email on a monthly basis.

The cost for water, electricity, heating, internet, and furniture is included in the rent. The rent is paid for ten month out of twelve, leaving the period mid-June to mid-August rent free. Please note that this does not abide to tenants who move in after March, to compensate those tenants they pay a lower rent.

Online payment by credit card

For online payment with credit card to Malmö University.

Online payment by credit card

International transfer

Tenants who prefer to use a bank account based in their home country can make an international transfer. Conditions for transferring money from foreign banks vary, please inquire about this at your bank to avoid unnecessary extra costs.

Account holder: Malmö universitet
IBAN: SE77 1200 0000 0128 1011 2584


If you wish to pay your rent with cash, we recommend going to a bank office of your choice.  Please note that you will be charged a fee for the service. Bring your rent slip when consulting their services, make sure to write your reference in the payment and always keep the receipt.




Unpaid rent

If you neglect to pay your rent on time, you will receive a reminder and an extra fee will be added. If the debt remains, the Housing Office will contact your home university and/or your emergency contact person. Please note that tenants with rent arrears risk not getting their rental agreements extended.

Opening a bank account

Everyone, who has a right of residence in Sweden, has the right to open a bank account. If you are staying for less than six months, the best option is to use your existing bank account in your home country. If you plan to stay longer than six months, opening a Swedish bank account can help ease everyday life. You are free to choose any bank of your choice.

Read through and bring the following document to the bank to facilitate the process:

Opening a bank account in Sweden (pdf)

Moving out

There are a number of things to think about when it is time to move from University Housing.

1. Terminate your rental agreement

As stated in your rental agreement, you are required to give one calendar months’ notice when terminating your rental agreement. This also applies if you plan to move out on the date your contract expires.

Select the desired end date for your rental agreement:
Have you enjoyed living in University Housing?
I understand that deductions might be made from my deposit due to damages, negligent cleaning and/or rent differences. This applies even if I can't attend my room inspection.

Malmö University is responsible for the personal data processed within the University's operations, and complies with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). For more information on how your personal data is processed, visit

2. Room inspection

Once you have terminated your rental agreement, you will get contacted with a date and time for your room inspection. You need to thoroughly clean your room according to the instructions given. We recommend you to be present during the room inspection in order to correct minor faults. After the inspection you must hand in your keys.

3. Deposit reimbursement

The last thing to do, when moving out of Univeristy Housing, is to provide us with your bank details for your deposit reimbursement. To receive your full deposit back you must pass the cleaning inspection and have no outstanding rent.

Once your rental agreement has passed it's end date, and we have received the result of your room inspection, we will start the deposit reimbursement processing. Your deposit should reach your account approx. 4 weeks after the reimbursement processes have started, provided you have handed us the correct bank details.

Deposit reimbursement form


If you have questions or need guidance, please contact Housing Advisors Johanna Miró Lindberg or Therese Löfgren via:

Student Centre, Neptuniplan 7