Mistra Sport and Outdoors
About the project
The Sport and Outdoor Mistra Program (SPOOR) takes environmental impacts as a point of departure to study sustainable practices in sport and outdoor recreation.
- The aim is to produce and apply new knowledge on sustainable solutions which reduce negative impacts from transport, land and water use, equipment and events.
- The goals are to (i) put Sweden at the international forefront of sustainable practices obtained through co-creation between research and stakeholders, (ii) start a movement for more sustainable practices, and (iii) establish a network-based centre for research, development and policy support in favour of sustainable solutions.
- The research is organized in six work packages focusing on: Knowledge, path dependencies and transformations; Transport and mobility; Land and water use; Materials and equipment; Events and spectators; Behavior, policy and future change.
- The program will use a co-creation process designed in dialogue with the Swedish Sports Confederation, the Swedish Association for Outdoor Organizations, the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency, the Swedish Society for Nature Conservation and the Scandinavian Outdoor Group.
- Our research supports inter- and transdisciplinary synergies in studies of sport and outdoor recreation and contribute to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.